With Canada’s long and sometimes harsh winters, warn foods are always a good choice for many people to help them to stay cozy. Usually, soups are one of the most common dishes to help people to fight cold temperatures.
There are many delicious soups recipes out there, and it’s very easy for everyone to look for recipes from all different types of cuisines from around the world.
As you probably already know, at Casa Bonita Foods, we are all about sharing our love for Mexican food.
Mexican cuisine is known for its rich and flavorful dishes, and went it comes to soups or “caldos” these are no exception. From hearty stews to brothy delights that for sure help warm you up during the coldest days, Mexican soups have many options and something for every taste out there.
In this post, we’ll explore five of the most traditional Mexican soups that are perfect for dinner or a weekend lunch. One thing is for certain, these options will not only help you with the cold, but they will delight your taste buds.
- Pozole: A rich and flavourful soup to warm your soul. Pozole is a staple in Mexican cuisine and is famous for celebrations and family gatherings. We can tell you that some of our team members have this soup in constant rotation at home. Traditional Pozole is made with hominy, pork, and spices and is garnished with shredded cabbage, radishes, and lime. The reason why this dish is so delicious is due to the combination of tender meat and chewy hominy makes for a filling and delicious meal.
- Sopaipillas: Fried Pastries in a Broth Sopaipillas are a type of fried pastry popular in Mexican cuisine. In a soup version of this dish, the sopaipillas are served in a broth made with beef, chicken, or vegetables. The contrast between the crisp, fried pastries and the warm, flavorful broth makes for a comforting and satisfying meal.
- Menudo: Often considered a hangover cure, Menudo is a tripe soup that is believed to help alleviate some of the symptoms of celebrating too much during the “fiestas.” Menudo is cooked with red chili pepper, hominy, and spices, this soup is considered another staple in Mexican homes and, from time to time, served on special occasions or family gatherings. The tender tripe and spicy broth make for a unique and flavorful experience.
- Tortilla Soup: Needless to say, our favourite in this list, a classic Mexican tortilla soup, is usually made with chicken broth, fried tortilla strips, tomatoes, onions, chilli peppers, and other spices. This soup perfectly combines savoury and spicy flavours and will warm you up on those cold days with temperatures below 0 degrees. The crispy tortilla strips add a crunchy texture that complements the broth perfectly. If you are looking for a unique recipe where you can utilize your leftover tortillas, this would be the perfect option for you.
- Caldo Tlalpeño: A Vegetable-Filled Soup Caldo Tlalpeño is a soup made with chicken or beef, vegetables such as potatoes, carrots, and zucchini, and topped with cheese, avocado, and cilantro. This soup is a filling and nutritious meal that is packed with flavour. The combination of tender meat, fresh vegetables, and tangy cheese makes for a delicious and satisfying soup.
Pro tip: You can easily add sliced tortillas and/or Tajin Clasico to any soup to add an extra layer of flavour.
Mexican soups are essential to the country’s cuisine and offer a wide range of flavours and textures. Whether you’re looking for a hearty stew or a brothy delight, a Mexican soup will satisfy your cravings.
So next time you’re in the mood for something warm and flavorful, try one of these five traditional Mexican soups.